Department of Social Studies
PHILOSOPHY OF THE DEPARTMENT
Social studies is a core subject from Basic 1 - 9 schools in Nigeria. The large number of these institutions coupled with their ever-increasing enrollment has necessitated the production of specially trained teachers who are equipped with the knowledge and special skills for implementing the social studies programme in these schools.
The fundamental concern of social studies is with man and his complex relationships with the world around and beyond.It is in this context that the NCE Social Studies curriculum attempts to instill in the students, the basic knowledge, desirable values, and skills for investigating, analyzing and explaining theses interrelationships.
The social studies programme is therefore designed with the objective of producing teachers who are both professionally committed and academically competent in its philosophy content and methodology.
OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
This programme is designed to achieve the following:
- Produce professionally and academically competent NCE Social Studies teachers for the Basic 1 - 9 Schools.
- Prepare teachers who will inculcate in their pupils rational adjustment to their physical and social environment through acquisition of knowledge, attitudes, values, appreciations and skills necessary for developing social and civic responsibilities.
- Produce students who are capable of benefiting from further education in social studies and other related areas.
LIST OF LECTURERS
- Barr. Nkolo C.E.
- Mr. Odeh C.N
- Sr. R. M. Ohiaege
- Mr. Nzekwe Godwin
- Mrs. Kate Nwankwo
- Mr. Musa Kabiru Paul (HOD)
LIST OF ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF
- Anidiobi Nnenna Lucy (Secretary)